So I haven’t cooked anything that requires more than four ingredients in several months. It’s the new job thing….and today was an incredibly short NINE HOUR DAY! WOO!!! Mostly, I’ve been eating out.
So this is the kind of thing that’s considered a laughably simple recipe for normal people. It’s fine cuisine for the way I’ve been eating for the past few months.
source: Mark Bittman article: Chana Dal
- 1 cup split chickpeas (chana dal) (I actually used masoor dal, because I had masoor or urad…having an Indian grocery in your back pocket is a good thing.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 bay leaf, preferably Indian
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or safflower oil
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed-red-chili flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
Easy food is good. It’s good food, and easy.